Electrical energy is the most versatile energy on the planet with its fascinating nature and facts imbibed.
1. The first person experimenting with electricity as far back as 600BC
2. Reports of people receiving shocks from electric fish dates back to ancient Egyptian texts of 2750BC
3. Ancient Romans recommended touching electric fish to cure a headache or gout.
5. Enough sunlight reaches the earth’s surface each minute to satisfy the world’s energy demands for the entire year.
6. Within six hours, deserts receive more energy from the sun than mankind consumes within a year.
7. All batteries in the world could only support 10 min worth of world’s demand for energy
8. A bolt of lightning can measure up to Three million volts and it lasts less than one second.
9. Google searches account for about 0.013% of world’s energy usage. This equals enough electricity to power 200,000 homes continuously. The energy it takes to conduct 100 searches on their website is equivalent of a lightbulb burning for 28 mins!!
10. Google uses about 0.0003kWh of energy to answer the avenge search query, which translates into about 0.2g of carbon dioxide released.
11. Electricity plays an important role in the way our heart functions, muscle cells in the heart are contracted by electricity that runs through our body.Electrocardiogram(ECG) machines are used in hospitals to measure the electricity flowing through a patient’s heart, displaying a line that spikes with every heartbeat.
12. Just 1/3 of energy in burning coal reached consumer as electricity!
13. Fly ash emitted by a coal power plant carry 100 times more radiation into the surrounding environment than a nuclear power plant producing the same amount of energy!
14. The United States produces half of its electricity from coal. China uses coal to generate more than three- fourths of its electricity.Overall, coal makes up to 2/5 of the world’s electricity generation.
15. Fireflies produce light using chemical energy from their food. This light is even more efficient than that of one light bulb.Other creatures like deep sea squid and glow worms also possess this nature!!
16. An electric eel, on the other hand, doesn’t glow, but it can provide a shock of 600 volts which is a double the 220 volts which can be safely plugged into a socket in our home!!
17. Iceland is the first and only country to date which relies solely on renewable sources for electricity.
18. Liquid Fluoride Thorium reactors, a different kind of nuclear reactor, could generate the entire world’s annual energy needs using 7,000 tons of thorium mined from an area the size of a football field.
19. Electricity generated in Switzerland is 56% from hydroelectricity and 39% from nuclear power, resulting in a nearly CO2- free electricity generating network.
20. The U.S Department of Energy is researching ways to replace fossil fuels with renewable sources of cleaner energy, and termites are considered a possible way to reach the goal through metagenomics. Termites produce up to 2 liters of hydrogen from digesting a single sheet of paper, making them one of the planet’s most efficient bioreactors.